Monday, January 14, 2013


Death is just a crook


When sleepless I composed these lines of verse in my head  
            as if playing chess pieces blind
carefully moving words   no phrase too terse
to check the flow   like paring apple rind
in a curling helix-like state of mind

time like a spring
compresses dreams in plaited strands that bind
to positions played long ago   ticking
into eternity   self to play thus going
on

awake I review these lines and try
to plumb those pools of reverie I fished
with barbless hooks that caught not what I wished
but snagged seaweed in my subconscious mind
detritus of times forgotten times missed
when brash and bold once long ago   unkind           
memories from long ago flicker in my mind

Coffee’d   pick up the threads of life
the mind must clear   must curl up in its nook
to comprehend in absences mistook
more often than silence is   as meaningful
that life plays to win   death is just a crook
in the road   seen moves ahead by careful
players who know a void is a void is annul


© Dick Russell, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...