Sunday, July 21, 2013


        Song of the Turning Key*


                 for Yuri Daniel (1925-1988)


              I'm a turning key   a turning key
              I'm one of three   one of three
              there's two spare ones   then there's me
              the best of the three    that's me

              I'm a locking up key   a locking up key
              I've got a dirty job   a very dirty job
              I lock Daniel in his cell all night
              & try as I might   try as I might
              I can't resist the turn of the screw
              that uses me   that uses me   so miserably
              the proudest key of the three   that's me

              I'm an unhappy key   an unhappy key
              the nasty screw that uses me
              don't like Danny and he don't like me
              he's threatened to throw me away

              I'm the littlest key    the littlest key
              if I'm thrown away   they won't find me
              I'm such a little key   Oh can't you see
              I'm the saddest key of the three    help me

                        ENVOI



Smoke


beside a path
charred circles
after fire
flameless embers
breeze sifts ash
in the air

if I could incant
my words
like smoke
my clear words
might dissolve
in meaning

but Polish poets
Jews   Gypsies
chimneys
camps
smoke


copyright © Dick Russell 2015

*(from Spring 1968, published in Workshop New Poetry, UK)
                                © Dick Russell, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...