Wednesday, October 16, 2013


                The Surgeon’s Lament



                    Like a knife against a sharpener's stone
                    my presence wears on her abrasively
                    sharp from her disdain    I'm yet a dull bone
                    for her dog    she scorns me derisively
                    and now she tells me   for her   I've grown old
                    she means I'm boring    I don't turn her on
                    she means   I’m sure    she's found others less cold
                    I was always left hot from her friction

                    I doubt she kens her keen impact on me
                    surely she must   for she's kept all my gifts

                    unwrapped    unread   one day those books will free
                    her from grief    the facts    how to get face lifts

                    So I'm a love-sick serious surgeon
                    if only her nose had not led me on



                © Dick Russell, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...