Tuesday, April 8, 2014

 

                             Walking forward reciting back

                                                                          for Philip



in the first warm air of winter
on a path in Washington State
by a river
 historic Hanford Reach
after the Ides of March
still grieving a heart attack
that struck down my brother
early in January

my shoulder aching still
from a fall six months before

it wasn't the Walworth Road
I was walking with my arm strapped
to my shoulder with tape

it wasn’t on my way to see Uncle Joe
most friendly of our uncles
nor taking the path through Myatt's Fields
to play tennis on New Year’s Day
that year we cleared snow off the court
in bomb battered London

it wasn't St. James' church
where we sang for joy
though we were fatherless, iron
in our hearts, a chill alloy
that belled pure notes in spring

it was a path by a river
in Washington State
on All Fool's Day
masquerading as a god
on a bike path by a river
in guise of an old man
or a young strutting stud

I faltered or strode out
favoring the pavement
with a treat in false feet
playing out characters
as I did with the Street
who watched us grow up

in the first warm air
of   what would be summer
I sensed a chill in the shade
remembering passing a Barracks
where your father James Philip
stood to attention
holding my hand as he took off his hat
as soldiers came marching
men came marching
led by Royal Fusilier's flag

that is rare these days
   an officer said
thank you, sir
for showing such respect

‘Yes, the Fusiliers marched home
fewer than they left’ said the Street
‘left The Street bereft’
who knew all people by their tread
knew our father limped
sometimes pedaled a bike instead

on the bike path
I marched shoulders back
like a Fusilier tramping through France
then back to Dunkirk
traversing North Africa’s desert
until one day in a jeep
blown up by a mine
our father lived to come home again
blind in one eye and lame in one foot
only to die of a stroke
one New Year's   
                            eleven years later

now Phil is dead too
of a heart attack
when will I follow if I should follow?
that's why I'm masked as an immortal god

three couples passed me
at regulation intervals

Aphrodite and Hæphestus
pretending to be mortals
were always going to be first to pass
I could see they weren't destined to last

then Erato
more like Aphrodite of all nine Muses
came by on roller blades
with a son of Ares holding her steady
I could see they'd be abandoned in bed
before sun would set

he took her tottering arm and sped
sure footed away as Phil would have
led Maggie back when they were courting

then Euterpe a muse most musical
came by with Hæphestus' son
and I could see it would be she
made him do her bidding

an all seeing old man
a god in disguise
counting three beautiful women pass
knew it was just  another judgment of Paris 

an all seeing old man
once intimate with Aphrodite
chose Erato as his pick of the three
knowing his brother would have agreed
and that was only the first half mile  
along a bike path where walking is free
in the first warm air
of  what would become summer

an all seeing old man I followed a young couple
along the bike path
not fast enough to overtake
like an old Volvo on a hill
not passing a Subaru
I closed in then dropped back
knowing I was not fast enough
but realized then that I was a god
disguised as a feeble old man
walking Fondamenta Zattere
doing his best before his heart gave out
gamely trying to pass them by
who sensing my approaches
         fall backs
indecisions
decided to stand still to
let old Ezra pass

our Phil would have strode by them
he was a new model Audi
a self confident chap
he would have accelerated
and passed on by
without pause

then I swaggered on in my other rôle
as a strutting young stud
a prince with estate
concealing the pain of
a sword thrust to his shoulder
wearing his jacket like a Hussar
draped over one shoulder

there were two black cats
lynxes masquerading as cats
one to the right
one to the left
sacred to Dionysius
several hundred yards apart

they looked at me with knowing eyes
perceiving the god within my disguise
as one minute a dissolute drunk  
or next an earl with a plumed cocked hat
with appropriate hand gestures
murmurs of greeting to people passing
I progressed down the path
in the first warm air of soon to be Spring
when daffodils were waking
trees and shrubs were budding
birds began singing

my brother Phil ran marathons
would bicycle many miles
searched for supernovae
in night time skies
his observatory now stands empty
at the bottom of their garden

he was physically fit
mentally astute
took all by surprise
when his heart suddenly stopped
died on the spot

a thrush was singing in low fluted tones
in the first warm air
of that first warm evening
when through open windows
music might sound
how he loved music
especially Chopin
how he could warm his grand piano
that stands now with cold chords
he’s no longer at home

at his funeral a cousin piped in his coffin
with a Lament on Northumbrian pipes
how sad those pipes sound
what grief they unleashed
as they wailed

seventy years brothers
now time walks forward
one day at a time
reciting his name


                                     copyright © Dick Russell  2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...