Sunday, February 18, 2018

                                     Solomon           

                   a poem enclosed in a letter from Sister Mary Agnes 


I have prayed that the present may not pass
until I use it
I have craved for expression
before I lose it
with my body shared the sun
a harvest
risen, flowered, matured and faded

Has any heard
the gesture of my pleading
did any heed my anguish as I traced
rapid courses spilling through cupped hands
in offering raised;

felt the summer burning in my marrow
gradually chill
until
the hollow in my bones was glazed with frost?
until

days dropped in monotony
dark, twisted leaves to weigh the winter night
brooding, like Solomon
his vain soliloquies.


            Sr. Mary Agnes
           (Pamela Chalkley)

     copyright © Dick Russell

                    2018

For more information on Sr. Mary Agnes see:


No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...