Tuesday, February 27, 2024

 Chimes at Midnight



When I’m too old to toil too young to die
I’ll write some lines while my brain’s still spry
Not say in English gone fishing but Greek
a private joke only scholars find wry 

Sing to me muses in tongues I can’t speak
Tone poems in languages I can’t name
Crystallize images happy or bleak
so my words can attribute blame or fame

Translate your meaning so I get your drift
Let me hear your music framing your chords
Picture meaning in words I can make shift
into metrical patterns weaving your words

Sing to me muse with voice universal
Each time I recite without rehearsal

Tell me some tales you never told before
Tell what the future may take from its store
To challenge every species to find
a way forward preserving its own kind

From one day’s generation to the next
sunrise to sunset moonrise to moonset
high tide low tide morning and evening
never knowing what the future may bring

Some more sentient others much more dumb
some with levity cavalier hamstrung
by prejudice innate humor heartless
original sin anything worthless

Sing to me muse with voice universal
Each time I recite without rehearsal
Now make me bolder now make me stronger
Let me be ready to face a danger

Let me project my voice through time
Never let me struggle to find a rhyme
Or fill a line with requisite meter
Choosing my own form from time to time

Trampling iambic feet with anapests
Spontaneously spiking a spondee
Into the dactyl hexameter drone
And making it squeak with dubbed track of glee

Canned laughter cued on demand by a script
Written in the latest language fashion
Launched to the cloud from nondescript notebooks
Noticed by no one except by the swarm

Sing to me muse with voice universal
Each time I recite without rehearsal


Dick Russell © 2024
 Richard M Russell























No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...