Saturday, August 18, 2012


Bringing in the Wine

                                       By Li Po


did you not see
water for Yellow River cascade from sky
surge straight to sea
never return

did you not see
parents stare at a mirror
sad   counting their white hairs

morning is as green as spring grass
soon night comes
grass is covered with snow

do you not see
we must not be sad
never let our goblets go empty

why was I born
if no use exists for me?
what point would there be
if that should be true?
bring in more wine
if I spend all my wealth
each gold coin will come rolling back

roast a sheep   slaughter a cow
let's drink at the least 300 glasses
to you Sen    a toast
& to you Tang Chin
drink up my friends
don't let me see your goblets stand idle

I'll sing you a song
so listen intently
what is there left apart from wine
I only want to get drunk
never again be sober

saints and scholars are all forgotten
only those drinkers remain

Prince Chen paid ten thousand crowns
for 1 cask of fine wine
he banqueted in the palace of perfection
how come mine host that you tell us
all your money is spent?

I'll sell my best horse   the best of my furs
my servant shall scour the town
to bring in more wine
so drink up my friends!
we shall drown the sorrows of 10,000 generations
if we don't drink now
how will we ever appease our grief


                                     Li Po
                                    T'ang Dynasty
                                    translated by David Sen, Dick Russell

                                    Published in Chapman Chinese Issue, Scotland, 1972


Coda:  Those Songs


(And Li Po also died drunk
trying to embrace a moon
in the Yellow River

                                    Ezra Pound)


The words of those songs would be hollow
if my love of your company was not in them

those songs would be cold
like snow on frozen mountains
where torchlight never comes

clouds sail after you

what will life be now you drift downstream
leaving the moon moored here?

snowflakes fall on this poem


                                    Dick Russell
                                    Chapman Dick Russell Issue, 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...