Friday, May 10, 2024

 Excerpt from Ballade


     second movement



I had a dream
that the fire should be kept going
that I was alone in the world
that I had to do it alone
hoping someday someone would assist me
& to keep the fire alight
I had millions of matches
all the matches in the world 
were piled behind me
like the great Chinese wall
curving over the horizon
& I threw matches at the fire
to keep it burning
& I used up the matches
I went further and further to get them
& I did it
I ran back and forth along the wall
bringing matches
& I didn't eat
I didn't sleep
I drank nothing
in the dream I went on forever
keeping the fire alight
till somebody came
then there were arguments  
about the procedure
to be followed

*

broken sound fall on stone
from the waste pipe above
water splashes

sound of separation
of distance between objects

between the noise of things
an essential silence
of movement
                      of limbs
(
before   light   dark
at the center towards which
air swirls   is warmed
falls back   re-enters

and always before that
warmth
light
air

then dust brought

then warmer   faster
then breeze   wind
darkness
)

in my beginnings

were wind myth
myth carnal
bee rhythms
stem sway

wing fall

organic mulch 
feeds the sycamore trees

but one wing
wing of myth
with bones    joints
a thumb

let go
forego
the primates thumb
indulge in chimerical inconabulum

breeze
sway 
touch 
all pollinate me
but my species?
hostile
since my beginnings

*
& always a dangling sleeve
that touched the table brushed the table
in one movement a beard pointed Cortez
aware of attention   eyes lifted above ocean
eyes piercing white sclera
wind drilling the pupil
scratch of ivory on bone...
then movement again
piano keys tinkling
nails tapping trills on the ivory

before the music of the song
five lines danced in a wide void
the hub of a chorus of voices
gouged a groove in tunnel walls
nothing ever appeared in the octave
save eight shredded eels
& the fumes of a gill

such does the loom unweave
conversation talk down the wall
talk each brick back to the pile

in freshness of silk falling
silk billowing
in lichen moist on the windowframe
uninvolvement
like an uncoiled spring

meaningfullness
the whole dividing
halves multiplying
& the swimming organisms
heads talking above fluid things

& always a dangling sleeve
sleeve sinking
silk billowing
& that moist emanence of closely approached odor
the chemicals of low volatility
which may not be smelt from far off




Dick Russell(C) Richard M Russell
                2024



The full poem was published by Chapman
Vol. III.  No. 4 Dick Russell Issue
Edinburgh 1975





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mondays Come and Go Mondays come and go  now there are only three to go then two more before he's sentenced  when he'll disdain the ...