Sunday, September 27, 2026

As Life Goes By

A Work in Progress
150


Crossbills frequent the fountain
Watching them is not time misspent
They feed they flock away they come back again
Where I’m in the moment with purposeful intent

The past was both happy and sad
Days to remember to forget
Times when awakened feelings were glad
Others haunted by residual regret

I’m in the moment with no time to lament
Though should I take time for what time took away
I’d see clarity from those many years spent
Living on my wits chasing a pay day

Today we brought tomatoes inside 
Where they can ripen not rot on the vine
We went out early with the ebbing tide
Worked all day before sitting down to dine

Happy to have donated grafting tools
To a library housed in an old dairy
A weed steamer and a trimmer, jewels
Almost new with tips for the unwary

Where we saw someone renting a cider press
Something we’d twice done in years before
In houses where we’d lived with neighbor stress
Before finding a haven and needing no more
            

Dick Russell © Richard M Russell
                        2026

No comments:

Post a Comment

Briseis and the Imagists    Episode 5:  Battle Cry A Work in Progress 151 From their refuge in space orbiting Earth where Briseis and the Im...