Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Endless Yearning


by Li Po


                        1

I endlessly yearn to be in Chang-An
a single cricket chirps by that gold-rimmed well
a Hippocrene
defying the season

a little frost   my bedding is cold

a single lamp lit in my room

one lantern hung high flickers

shadows mock me
making me more sad

moving to the window
I see Po-Chu-Yi's moon   and sigh

my desire
like a bloom beyond reach
yellow in deep dark reaches of sky

while below
blue waters run restlessly
through green fields
reflecting white clouds

anguish in my soul
my dreams grow weary
you are so far away

I think of the mountains
insurmountable mountains
that lie between us

impossible even to hope

endless this longing
breaking my heart


                        2

this evening
flowers shone like lanterns
through the dusk
sun set slowly

the moon so bright
it's like a piece of white silk

I wish I could take it
to dab away my tears
I can't sleep

I played some songs on a harp
simple songs about men and women
who are happy together

then I took up a lute
that has only two strings
each faithful to the other

these melodies have great feeling
if only you could hear them

who will bear them to you for me?
will the spring wind carry them there?

you are so far away
open skies have shut their doors on us
my eyes once sparkling
now deep wells of tears

if you doubt how my heart aches
return to me & see
just how I look
in this mirror



translated by David Sen and Dick Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...