Thursday, October 25, 2012


                      The Girl In New York



She was Lebanese   clever   strongly made
I with important work and a big head
words woven in harmonious brocade
won’t bring her back to life   for she is dead
she killed herself    and since I was obtuse
regret lingers though I atone with tears
for we met for coffee   talk was no use
I know now at an age when all coheres

when I heard she was dead I was shamed
I’d sensed her despair but did not reach out
gave nothing of myself   though as yet unclaimed
except by ambition and nagging doubt
she is dead   beyond questions   beyond love
my work!   so what was I so afraid of?




©  Dick Russell, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...