Tuesday, August 1, 2017

                       Poems

          by Li Shan Gyan


1

So hard to meet now
then so much harder to part

there’s no strength left in the east wind
gladioli can only wither

just as a silk worm will spin all its silk
                                                 then die
              my tears run down
      while this candle burns
into ashes

every morning in the mirror
is worry of another white hair
every night while I recite poems
do you too feel the same chill?

our enchanted land is not so far away
shall I let this poem be my messenger
be a companion for you

2

She has come and gone
her words meant nothing
left no trace

moonlight shines on the watch tower
five empty echoes are rung by the bell

I tried to call her
to detain her
but she would not turn back

I tried to write to her
frenzied letters
but black ink barely marked fresh parchment

it was so dark
only half of a jeweled phoenix
glowed in the candlelight

so silent
only her perfume
leant over from the curtained bed

a poet once went to Paradise
he journeyed 6 months
to live in enchantment
enthralled by goddesses

but she

you are ten thousand times further away

3

a gentle thunder of raindrops
falling on lily pads
a fine mist of rain trails the east wind
perfumed incense seeps from a golden toad lock
set to open her room

puddles lie splashed near the well
traces of her gleam on tigers
carved on its sides

there was once a great lady
who favored a youth
secretly behind a screen
and another, a fairy queen
who gave her pillowcase to a poet

I wish I could stop loving her
please let me not love her

or every inch of my longing will burn
and become just so many inches

of ash

4

as she embroidered a phoenix on a green hat
I could see double layers of silk
she was using
                                coquettishly
she hid
but her moon shaped fan
could not conceal her beauty

horse’s hooves clattered
carriage wheels turned
words
               were lost

I waited for her in the dark
long after the candle had burnt out
now pomegranates have begun to blossom
still no word has come

I stand here by the river
my horse tethered by the willows
where to be with you
will the warm wind guide me?

                       *

Li Shan Gyan, T’ang Dynasty
translated by David Sen & Dick Russell

copyright © 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...