Saturday, August 19, 2023

Poem for Joanna


how can i tell of my silence      with words?

(the radio telescope
a gaunt contraption of sheds
& very many grids of cable  
     imagine a telescope dish
the diameter of the earth
imagine probing the furthest areas of the universe)

energy
as in quasars        suns         within molecules
& my sun !
my ENERGY
bursts
a crescendo
       is a quasar
a thing of legend
but quietly goes the air
my breath
my strokes of hand
mushrooms in dank places
lightened by dawn
Joanna has never heard the sonic hiss
there is a smell of breakfast
a stream leaping down stones
which among the grasses
is the ancient one...?
keeper of grass legend
or among water
which drop?

Joanna
      your legs are beautifully long
      but you are too big for Rodin...

come at me...
i say you are too big
but Rodin is dead anyhow
perhaps of lesser legged women

(i talk thus when i am tired
     or i am enigmatic...
        later I will try to find heron imagery

my verse will walk on stilts

my arm on white stains black
i write my blackness with light
were i no poet
an astronomer i'd be
& I would hunt
the quark


Dick Russell
                              from Wolfprints

No comments:

Post a Comment

 1972 Jessica’s shoulders gleamed her torso wrapped in a warm towel posed on a wooden table while a kettle steamed still damp from her bath ...