Monday, July 29, 2024

Ape Man



Inside me an ape man hides
i know because by osmosis he seeps
into my soul
so that 

instinct overrules 
fear triggers 
adrenaline surges
fists clench

I know what's fair
but how I know I owe to him
who knows what courage is
and knows what's in our genes

challenged we strive
we grow we feed
pull ourselves up
though gravity pulls us down
our minds learn to muscle up
to crawl to stand

inside me a genetic core
programmed to survive
easy to provoke
be careful

don't trespass on my freedom
for I'm one of many in my tribe
all programmed to survive
straining at the yoke
to fight another bloke

if needs must 

should we forget we're civilized



Dick Russell © Richard M Russell
                    2024





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mondays Come and Go Mondays come and go  now there are only three to go then two more before he's sentenced  when he'll disdain the ...